Saturday, February 2, 2008

Albania

Country: Albania
Government: Parliamentary republic
Capital: Tirana
Official languages: Albanian
Population: 3.6 million


I started out by browsing through my rather limited collection of Balkan songs but all artist were from either Romania or Serbia so I started to google instead.

After a couple of hit and miss ones I found the clarinetist Laver Bariu who's here laying quickfingered and mourning melodies over a minimalistic one-chord drone:ish wall of sound.




And another more upbeat and non-instrumental.


And to not totally dedicate this post to old men with old instruments I'll also include Albanias own destinys child, Elvana Gjata.

1 comment:

Mandus said...

The second song is nice. Quite often I find myself missing beats in all kinds of traditional music, and even classical music.

Which is a bit sad sometimes, since I believe I miss out on some good stuff.

Luckily for me I found some sweet beats from Algeria that I will present later this week.